In order to earn the M.S. through the Applied Option, the student must complete 36 hours of graduate coursework, as follows:
- SOCY 502 Sociological Theory
- SOCY 601 Methods of Sociological Research
- SOCY 602 Applications of Methods of Social Research
- SOCY 508 Introduction to Social Statistics
- SOCY 693 Internship (6 credit hours) OR SOCY 694 Practicum (6 credit hours)
- 18 credit hours of approved graduate electives
Up to six credits of independent study (SOCY 692) or credits outside the department may also be presented with administrative approval.
The internship is intended as a professional experience in a field of interest to the student. For most students, it will be a first professional experience. A student currently employed in an appropriate organization may propose to intern in that position, provided the appropriate opportunities are available for integrating sociological theories and/or methodologies with ongoing professional activities. The practicum involves working with a faculty member learning skills and creating a product appropriate for a student’s professional interests.
For more information on the curriculum for the Applied Option in the Master of Science in Sociology, please visit the VCU Graduate Bulletin.