Certificate in Applied Social Research
The 18‐credit Graduate Certificate in Applied Social Research (CASR) may be earned separately or simultaneously with the M.S. To earn the CASR, students must complete 18 credit hours, including 4 required methods/statistics courses in Sociology, 1 internship and 1 3‐credit elective.
- SOCY 601 Methods of Sociological Research
- SOCY 602 Applications of Methods of Social Research
- SOCY 608 Statistics for Social Research
- SOCY 693 Internship
Elective (3 credits) – One of courses below or another graduate course in methods or statistics; permission of Graduate Program Director required if not listed below:
- SOCY 603 Seminar in Population Studies
- SOCY 656 Social Network Analysis
- *PADM/GVPA 625 Public Policy Analysis
- *PSYC 631 Evaluation Research: Psychological Perspectives
- *URSP 621 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
- *URSP 622 Community Socioeconomic Analysis Using GIS
*Courses in other programs may have prerequisites or require permission of the instructor. Check the VCU course list for current information.
Students may not be able to enroll full time or complete the certificate in one year given the limits on course scheduling.
For more information on the curriculum for the Applied Option in the Master of Science in Sociology, please visit the VCU Graduate Bulletin