- AKD and SOCY to host Dr. Richard Ocejo
- Dr. Victor Chen on how the economy has impacted marriage
- Livestream of “Deeper in Debt: Women and Student Loans” with Dr. Tressie M. Cottom
- Dr. Tressie M. Cottom's latest NY Times Op-Ed inspired by SOCY 322 Honors Course!
- Dr. Victor Chen discusses misconceptions of welfare fraud on 8 News
- Dr. Silvia Federici Speaks to AKD Inductees!
Sociologist C. Wright Mills wrote, “Neither the life of an individual nor the history of a society can be understood without understanding both.”
In this spirit, sociology is the systematic study of the interplay between individuals and larger social forces. Our lives are shaped by a social environment made up of culture, social structure, relations of power, and other features. But humans create this social environment and therefore can change it. In a world full of challenges and opportunities, sociology helps us better understand social life and consider the possibility of social change.
Join us in exploring the sociological perspective and its application to many different areas of social life, including:
- race, class, gender, and sexuality as elements of social identity and social inequality;
- the impact of human activity on our natural environment
- health care and challenges presenting by an aging population;
- the role of media, culture and technology in contemporary life;
- the history and impact of labor and social movements in creating social change.
- various methodologies used to measure, evaluate and understand social life.
These are just some of the many topics that can be better understood by using a sociological perspective. Come learn with us!